This statistic has also spurred many of us to take steps to end global poverty. These steps have included: mission trips, orphanage tours, and buying a pair of TOMS shoes. At their best, these steps do not work. At their worst, they create dependency, erode dignity, and crowd out local leaders who are in a better position to end their own poverty.
In the story of poverty’s end, we cannot be heroes. But, we can be Sidekicks. Here’s how:
TAKE THE SIDEKICK PLEDGE:
ADD YOUR NAME AND ORGANIZATION TO THE LIST OF SIGNATORIES
HELP SPREAD THE WORD:
1.Share the Sidekick Manifesto with colleagues, classmates, family and friends. Here’s a link to the pdf.
2. Post a copy of the Sidekick Manifesto on your office door or dorm room wall.
3. Give a copy of the Sidekick Manifesto to your Student Activities and Study Abroad Directors.
4. Host a Sidekick Manifesto discussion with your students or Non-profit Board of Directors.
5. Post the Sidekick Manifesto on your blog and ask your community to comment.
6. Ask your political representatives to take the Sidekick Pledge.
7. Share the Sidekick Manifesto with billionaire philanthropists, British Prime Ministers, and Ivy League economists randomizing communities into treatment and control groups.