1 in 10 people live on less than $1.90 a day.
This statistic takes our breath away. It should.
This statistic has also spurred many of us to take steps to end global poverty. These steps have included: mission trips, orphanage tours, and buying a pair of TOMS shoes. At their best, these steps do not work. At their worst, they create dependency, erode dignity, and crowd out local leaders who are in a better position to end their own poverty.
In the story of poverty’s end, we cannot be heroes. But, we can be Sidekicks. Here’s how:
TAKE THE SIDEKICK PLEDGE:
ADD YOUR NAME AND ORGANIZATION TO THE LIST OF SIGNATORIES
HELP SPREAD THE WORD:
1.Share the Sidekick Manifesto with colleagues, classmates, family and friends. Here’s a link to the pdf.
2. Post a copy of the Sidekick Manifesto on your office door or dorm room wall.
3. Give a copy of the Sidekick Manifesto to your Student Activities and Study Abroad Directors.
4. Host a Sidekick Manifesto discussion with your students or Non-profit Board of Directors.
5. Post the Sidekick Manifesto on your blog and ask your community to comment.
6. Ask your political representatives to take the Sidekick Pledge.
7. Share the Sidekick Manifesto with billionaire philanthropists, British Prime Ministers, and Ivy League economists randomizing communities into treatment and control groups.
Lead Author: Shawn Humphrey
Contributing Authors: Laura Meizen-Dick, Jeff Paddock, and Santiago Suiero
Designer: Sam Fortier
(We received an email from a very kind visitor who said that it would be a good idea to publicly display a list of signatories of the Sidekick Pledge. It is a great idea. Not sure why we didn’t think about that before. So, if you take the Sidekick Pledge, we’ll post your name below. And, if you took the Pledge before 11/04/19, would you mind giving us permission to display your name by taking the Pledge again?)